Tulsa Externships for Teachers
Support local educators by hosting a teacher for a summer externship.
- Teacher Responsibilities
- Business Responsibilities
- Participating Companies
Teacher Externships provide educators with the experience to steer students to science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)-related careers. This is accomplished by teachers working side-by-side with local businesses and organizations in or near the community they serve. What all Externship business partners have in common, is a commitment to STEM education in their communities and the capacity to provide a teacher with inspiring, meaningful projects that can be used to inspire students to pursue STEM careers in the Tulsa area.
Externships will be for six weeks during the months of June and July 2019. During this time, teachers will follow a schedule that mirrors a school day.
As a part of the program, businesses will give teachers a $5,000 salary.
What will the teachers do?
- Contribute talents, knowledge and skills to business operations
- Document your externship experiences and transform them into engaging lesson plans
Throughout their externships, teachers’ responsibilities can include:
- Project Management
- Training and Recruiting
- Community Outreach
For more information, check out these reports from the previous year’s participants.
What do the businesses need to provide?
- Build a six week hands-on, minds-on experience by which teacher externs contribute to company operations by applying STEM skills
- Aid teacher extern in documenting his/her experience and reflections
- Externships are a launch point for permanent business-school partnerships
- Hosts will contract with the extern and pay the extern’s compensation – $5,000 over 6 weeks
Business registration is due April 5.
Application deadline for teachers is April 19. Interviews will take place in May.
We will update this list until business registration closes on April 2.
Businesses: Contact Jaime Christensen at email@example.com to request information.
Teachers: Please send cover letter and resume to Jaime Christensen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants will be shared with our extern partners, and the matching process will begin in May.