We’re excited to launch The Next Generation of SENSEsational Science for 2023! Teachers from across the Tulsa area will have the opportunity to learn new ways to engage students in STEM while meeting academic standards. Teachers will also build community relationships with other educators and STEM partners.
We’re making some changes to SENSEsational Science, one of our most popular professional development workshops. The new format allows participants to choose what subject areas they are most interested in learning about and provides greater flexibility for busy schedules.
- Cohorts focused on subject area rather than grade level
- 3 days in-person + virtual modules
- Materials to implement what you learn
- Optional PLC (Professional Learning Community) follow-up
- Attend the commitment meeting prior to the start of SENSE, attend 3 days in person in June, and complete all virtual modules by August 1st. (Approx. 20 hours total)
- Optional involvement in PLC group, with an additional meeting in fall and spring (stipend available)
- In-person activities are in the Tulsa area and may require driving to multiple locations in one day. Teachers are responsible for their own transportation.
- Some activities require attendees to be outdoors and may include walking/hiking moderate distances on uneven terrain.
- Lunches are provided daily, but participants should bring a water bottle. Although we love kids and pets, we want you to be able to concentrate and participate fully. Therefore, this workshop is for adults only, so please plan accordingly. (*Registered service animals are allowed.)
*Priority acceptance will be given to teachers from Title 1 and those who serve underrepresented populations.
- Engineering & Technology: NORDAM, Fab Lab, Discovery Lab, Gathering Place, University of Tulsa, Thunder Fellows
- Life Science: OSU Center for Health Sciences, The M.e.T, Lineaus Teaching Gardens, Outdoor Classroom at Woodward Park, Chandler Park, 3D Molecular Designs
- Earth & Space Science: Global Gardens, Voyage Space Walk, Siegfried STEM Learning Lab at TRSA, Chandler Park, NASA OK Space Grant Consortium
Teachers may apply for multiple cohorts. Please note that due to overlapping days, teachers may not participate in both the Engineering & Technology and Life Science cohorts. Acceptance to all requested cohorts is not guaranteed.
- Commitment meeting in April (exact date TBD)
- Engineering & Technology Cohort – June 6-8, from 9:00 am-4:00 pm each day
- Life Science Cohort – June 7-9, from 9:00 am-4:00 pm each day
- Earth & Space Science Cohort – June 12-14, from 9:00 am-4:00 pm each day
- Follow-up dates for PLC group TBD