June 3-14, 2019
Spend your summer getting paid to visit some of the most exciting attractions and nature areas in Tulsa! You will make friends with fellow teachers excited to learn new ways to engage students in STEAM while meeting academic standards.
The best part: you do not need to be a science teacher to attend! Actually, we encourage teachers from all content areas to apply. This workshop focuses on building community relationships while encouraging STEAM in the classroom.
Discover science through phenomena.
Teach science through curriculum standards.
Workshops run weekdays from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. Lunches are provided for all participants.
- By the end of the workshop, all teachers must develop a lesson plan they can implement the following school year.
- All teachers must participate in 2 Saturday follow-up programs. (Information regarding follow up days will be distributed on the first day of the workshop.)
- Each teacher will work towards a common goal of developing and distributing applications for their students to extend lessons and integrate science, math and reading.
- There will be outdoor sessions and moderate physical activity, including walking on uneven terrain.
Submission of an application does not guarantee a spot in the workshop. You will be notified of acceptance by email.
To participate you must:
- Hold a current Oklahoma Teaching Certification
- Teach at the elementary or middle school level
- Submit completed application by March 1, 2019
- Be able to attend a two-hour commitment meeting approximately one month prior to the start of SENSE
- Be able to attend all classes at all sites
- Be able to attend at least two follow-up sessions offered during the school year (dates TBA)
- Be responsible for your transportation to and from all workshop locations
- Complete pre- and post- surveys and submit deliverable at the end of session (such as a lesson plan or school action plan)
Upon completion, teachers will receive:
- Stipend upon completion of workshop deliverables
- Personal iPad Mini for classroom use plus training on how to use it
- The opportunity to build lasting relationships with community partners