U.S. Fish & Wildlive Service: Implementing a Successful Citizen Science Effort
July 2 - August 6$398
Are you curious about how the Service uses citizen science to support our mission? Are you aware of the benefits citizen science projects provide to science and outreach programs? This course addresses these topics, and more! Regardless of where you are in your citizen science efforts – planning your first project, expanding an existing program, using citizen science data to make natural resource decisions or to enhance educational outreach programming – this course is for you!
This distance learning course is offered by live, instructor-led webinars (WebEx) and accompanied by an on-line classroom (Moodle). Participants start, end, and progress through the course together and with course instructors.
- Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify one resource management issue and one target audience to address that will support the Service’s mission and priorities
- Develop one question you’d like to answer via citizen science
- Explain how to strategically blend science and outreach via citizen science
- Explain how the Paperwork Reduction Act and Personally Identifiable Information impacts citizen science.
- Address how citizen science research/data is valid and trustworthy
- Draft one Individual Plan to assist you in implementing citizen science at your site
July 2 – August 6, 2019
Session 1 – Tuesday July 2
Session 2 – Tuesday July 9
Session 3 – Tuesday July 16
Session 4 – Tuesday July 23
Session 5 – Tuesday July 30
Session 6 – Tuesday August 6
All sessions are 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM EST
On-line through live webinars and Moodle
Who Should Attend
Service scientists interested in working with Visitor Services and Outreach staff in order to implement a citizen science program or project.
Tuition for FWS and NPS is prepaid. For participants from other agencies and organizations, there is a tuition charge of $398.00.
Register online at: https://www.doi.gov/doitalent
Register by April 23. After this date, please call for availability.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is committed to providing access to this class for all participants. Please direct all requests for Sign Language interpreting services, close captioning, or other accommodations needs to the contact below by April 23, 2019.
Michelle Donlan: 304-876-7685Download flyer